Bed 22 where are you?

At STICU they assign a bed number to the patients, my dad is bed number 22. Well this morning he went into surgery to clean out the sponge in his abdomen that he has open to release pressure in his organs. Well that was at 9:30 am. We saw as my dad was wheeled away to surgery and then went out and waited. My mom and I went over around 11:30 to ask is Bed 22 back in his room. The receptionist called back there and asked if Bed 22 was back in the room, no he was not. So my mom and I thought well maybe they have not returned yet from surgery. So we waited. Then my Uncle Joe came by around 12:00 so my mom decided oh hey its noon I should ask again if your dad is back. So she went up there and asked the receptionist again, hey is Bed 22 back from OR (operating room). She said "No he is not back but look someone came to see him." She pulled out the visitor's sign in sheet and there was my Tia Elvia's signature. She had missed us and tried to see my dad. Well my aunt came back to the waiting room and said she tried to see my dad and the lady handed her the badge (you gotta have a badge to get in) and so she thought okay I am good to go.

Well my aunt saw that no one was in my dad's room and she rushed back and told the receptionist. The receptionist was in shock saying well if he was still in OR his visitor's badges would have been pulled so no one could see him. Apparently STICU failed to tell the receptionist. Well as my aunt was telling us this my mom said okay well lets go to lunch I am sure after lunch Roel will be back. So my aunt decides to go home but my mom, my Uncle Joe and I go have a nutritious lunch at the cafeteria, if you call chicken wings and french fries nutritious. So we go back to the waiting area and my mom decides to try again. She calmly goes up to the desk, while my Uncle Joe and I sat in the waiting area. Then my Uncle Joe notices she left so we think "oh she is visiting with my dad." Then my mom comes back and says yeah he is in surgery for his aorta now. Whaaat?!! When did this happen?

"Paging for Bed 22, Roel Villarreal where are you?"
My mom told us a story of a nurse and a receptionist and their failure to communicate. So lets go back to the eighth time my mom asked where my dad was. The receptionist picked up her phone to call back to STICU and they said nope he is not in his room. So she tells my mom "I will go back there and see what is going on." Well she goes back there and waves my mom into the hallway of the STICU and has Nurse Sunshine with her. ( I call her Nurse Sunshine because she is my dad's dayshift nurse and she is SOOooooooooooo not a morning person nor is she very friendly.) So here is the conversation:

"Where is my husband?"
"Oh he was taken to have surgery on his aorta"
"Okay well did he every come back to his room from his abdomen surgery?"
"Oh yeah uuuuuugh probably an hour and a half ago"
"Well why didnt you tell the front about it, isnt it important to inform the front when he is back from OR and when he leaves to OR?"
"uuuugh, well "
" Well can you at least tell me where the surgery is at and where is the waiting room"
"uuugh hold on" (Nurse Sunshine fumbles for her phone)
"Nevermind I know he will be at the Cardio Vascular center here I will just ask when I get there where my husband is at"
"Well okay" says Nurse Sunshine as she prances on her way back to Sunshine Land where patient care is never a priority in her land nor knowing how to be informative to the family of patients it must be nice in Sunshine Land. Luckily the nice receptionist said "Oh I can call over there for you and your husband will be on the seventh floor because thats where they have all the surgeries" So she called and told my mom he was there and that to wait in the waiting area. So my dad was basically lost for a while because no one bothered to tell us when he was out of surgery and when he got back and when he went again to surgery. Its always fun when people play with your emotions.

Finally my dad was found and he was in surgery so hallelujah...

0 comments:

Post a Comment