Today is going to be a great day! My mom went in to visit my dad this morning and while I was waiting and reading some enthralling literature called Lucky magazine (hey believe me this is all I can handle right now). She finally came out she hugged me and began to shed some tears, TEARS OF HAPPINESS! She said that Dr. Alvarado had said they are weening him off the ventilator (breathing machine). That is great news since Dr. Alvarado had told us two days ago it could be weeks before they would remove him from the ventilator. His lungs look really healthy and they are going to try to get him to breathe on his own soon. He told her "We're making progress." This really brought tears to my mom's eyes because only yesterday did Dr. Hamilton say," I can't tell you he's making progress, but he's not getting worse."

My dad's vital signs are okay and he only needed 2 pints of blood yesterday, this great news! They are only giving him platelets now to help with the blood clotting. He definitely has no brain injuries. Their goal the next couple of days is waking him up and breathing on his own. This gives us so much hope. I know it will be along time before he can get up and go have coffee with me but the fact is that I can wait for that moment. All your thoughts and prayers have helped us so far.
Update: 11:28 am
Dr. Amer spoke to us, he is a cardiovascular surgeon. He wants to repair my dad's aorta; it has a tear and he said now its minimal but he does not want it to rupture. So he is going to try and schedule the surgery tomorrow early afternoon. This is the beginning of many surgeries to come so please keep us in your thoughts.

5 comments:

Sending prayers and love your way. If you need me, I'm just a text away...Joey knows how to find me!

Merry

mjr1066 said...
November 15, 2009 at 2:44 PM  

I realize it's still early (in his recovery), but....ANY PROGRESS IS GREAT NEWS.

Still praying.
Anna

alc said...
November 15, 2009 at 3:23 PM  

Praise God!! Prayers are being answered!! And we will continue praying through this whole journey of recovery! Love ya!!

Gloria Garza said...
November 15, 2009 at 3:41 PM  

The strength of prayers and a will to live are carrying your dad on a wave of recovery. XO (Barb)

Anonymous said...
November 15, 2009 at 8:54 PM  

I'm glad you started this blog. Not only is it keeping all those concerned updated but it also gives you a distraction. Good job little girl!! XO (Barb)

Anonymous said...
November 15, 2009 at 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment