As you know my dad was scheduled to have his tracheostomy tomorrow morning but SURPRISE SURPRISE it was done this early afternoon. How did my mom find out you say? Well when she went to go see my dad around 11:00 am they told her she couldn't because they are doing procedures right now. The receptionist could not elaborate. FINALLY my mom saw him at 2:15 pm and she saw that they had performed the tracheostomy. The New Nurse (substituting for Nurse Sunshine) told my mom that they had performed the tracheostomies here and that 3 other patients had to get them too, that's why they wouldn't allow anyone back in STICU. I got off work at 1:30 and got here by 3:00 and was able to see my dad with my mom. He was doing fine, he looks better not so bloated. His heart rate is going down and they are trying to make it go down even more with some medicine. New Nurse was nice enough to call at the front desk to let us know the doctors were doing their rounds. So thank you New Nurse. Dr. Quentin spoke to us and said that when he was examining my dad earlier he said my dad's name,and my dad tried to open his eyes. He couldn't do it just yet but he was trying. He said that people who are older it may take a while for them to wake up once they are off the sedatives and especially since he had two surgeries yesterday it may be longer. Dr. Quention also said that they may do a cat scan on his chest because he is draining quite a bit of fluid from there so they will assess from their if they will clean his chest or let it drain some more. I think it made my mom's day when he said "He tried to open his eyes." So we are just praying he stabilizes more so that way they can go ahead and tend to his bones. We are so thankful he is progressing.

8 comments:

Praise the Lord!!!! I'm so happy for all his progress! we're still praying for him...always! Love you guys!
all our love
The Garza's

aegarza said...
November 17, 2009 at 9:23 PM  

This is GREAT news!!!! I pray that he continues to progress. God has Uncle Roel in His hands.
Mike & Anna

alc said...
November 17, 2009 at 9:50 PM  

Those prayers work everytime!! I think you should sing him your special song and maybe that will help him open his eyes. XO(Barb)

Anonymous said...
November 17, 2009 at 10:53 PM  

It is midnight. Just got home from visiting with Roel and my sister. Roel looks better then what I could ever imagine. He was in a deep sleep, and all vital signs were good. Surely God is on his side! Let us give Him all the praise! Thank you all for all the prayers and support given to the Villarreal's.

November 18, 2009 at 12:17 AM  

That is great news that he tried to open his eyes.

glad to see that your sense of humor is intact through this - the nurses' nicknames especially. That strength, and finding something to laugh/smile at will help you all through this.

love,
Carol & Kevin

Carol said...
November 18, 2009 at 8:20 AM  

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN is all I can say at this moment!!

Gloria Garza said...
November 18, 2009 at 11:08 AM  

How GREAT is our God! I just received the link to the blog. Thanks Delena for sharing this with us. I know that it is difficult, but God truly has all the answers. Please give your Mom a big hug for me and tell her that she's in my prayers. You were so young when I left Kingsville, that I am sure that you do not remember me. Your Dad started my professional career in Financial Aid. I am eternally grateful! I pray God's grace and mercy upon you all!

Cynthia Mayberry said...
November 18, 2009 at 12:35 PM  

I remember you Cynthia! I am glad you found the blog we have been trying to find many people to share this with who love and care for my dad. I know that your prayers have been helping!

Delena said...
November 18, 2009 at 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment